From 1828 until 1975...
And So We Began
In 1828, One year after Carroll County was constituted, Concord Methodist Church was established with 13 charter member. James Baskin who had homesteaded land in the area, donated land from his farm for the first church. the first meeting house was erected that year. it was made of logs and was 18 feet square.
Among the names of the charter members were Baskin, Allen, Baxter, Bryce, Cash, Powell, Turner, Taylor, Wynn, and Ballard.
What's In a Name?
James Baskin recorded in his diary of the dream of the first members of all people in this beautiful section of Carroll County living always in love and concord, and thus, they named their new church Concord
Bursting at the Seams
The Section of the county was given the name Hickory Level because of the abundance of hickory timber and because of the relative nature of the land. This area was soon to become a thriving farming area, and with the influx of population , the church grew also. Around 1905 , Concord was cited by the North Georgia Conference as being the largest rural church in the conference with a membership of well over 400.
Through the circuit rider system and the local preachers, Concord has been the mother church of several other Methodist Churches. Powell's Chapel, Stripling Chapel, and Wesley Chapel owe their beginnings to Concord.
Spreading the Word
The organization of the First Methodist Church in Brazil traces its history to missionaries, Mr. & Mrs. Alfred I. Smith, who left Concord to go to that country in 1869. In 1870, on the lawn of Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Bishop Pierce held the First Conference in Brazil and officially organizes the Methodist Church there. In the years following its beginning, a number of local preachers were sent from Concord to Brazil, such as: James Baskin, James Bryce, James Stripling, David Stripling ,William Brooks, W.F.S. Powell, Levi Thomas, Gardner Powell, J.F. Bryce, C.W. Baskin, Biyed Kelley, Jesse Garrison, and Sam Baskin
The Church Outgrew the Building
The second church building was built in 1832, also of logs and was 24 feet square. The third house was framed and built in 1854 at a cost of $500 and was 36 feet by 40 feet. The fourth building was built in 1891 at a cost of $1000 and was 40 feet by 60 feet. The present building was constructed in 1909 after the storm wrecked the old building. The cost of this building was about $4000. Bishop Warren A. Chandler dedicated the building.
The church school annex was completed in 1954 and was dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore on May 9,1954.
The Dova Cavender Fellowship Hall was completed and dedicated in 1984.
We Shared Our Preachers
In the early years the church was served by a circuit rider who came every six to eights weeks to preach. It was his duty to hold church conferences to check on class leaders and to preach. In his absence during intervening weeks, the spiritual life of the church was attended to by local preachers and the class leaders.
And so Sunday School Was Begun
The Sunday school, called then the Sabbath School, was begun in 1868. During the harsh months of winter when the roads were too rough to travel and when the river would flood, classes would be called off until spring.
Beginning of WMS
The Women's Missionary Society at Concord was begun in the middle of 1890 with Miss Millie Wynn as President.
Christians of All Color
In 1860, 24 black members were listed on the role of Concord. From this group emerged an outstanding black minister, Rev. Larkin Walker, who preached at Concord on occasion and to other members of his race in surrounding communities. He is buried at Concord.
In 1864 during the worst of the Civil War, Concord was without a pastor for the only time in it's history. However, records indicate that through the local preachers and older men and women, the spiritual life was kept going.
In the early years, Following the lying by the crops in wait for harvest, great revivals were always held at Concord during the third week in August. One of the high moments in the history of the church was in August 1896 when 54 persons were received into the church on one day of the revival. The Rev. W.T. Irving was pastor at the time.
And then we got our own Preacher
From 1828 until 1975,Concord was part of a circuit, sharing its ministers with another church or churched. In 1975 by unanimous vote of the membership, Concord voted to withdraw from a circuit and establish a full time ministry....